Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Some interesting additions from Thanksgiving

So, for thanksgiving I got to go to my sister's wedding in Hong Kong. I notices several things that we had mentioned in previous blog posts or comments that I took pictures of and thought would be good to pass on to you all.






I also saw but did not get a picture of a cook book that had obviously been printed in quatro. How did I know? Because the pages were all still stuck together just like was mentioned in the post on paper folding in printing.
This is a Chinese printing block. As you can see the whole thing is carved as a unit so it is less versatile than  movable type,  but it also has some set formatting so it is not as disastrous as the poorly set Milton cover page we saw in special collections today.
Link to blog
These are some t-shirts that have nonsense English on them. My brother-in-law said it really is just because Chinese people think that the roman letter look cool. I really did see people on the subways wearing shirts just like this. I particularly like the Peach one in the upper right. Link to blog

4 comments:

  1. That is way cool alicia. I am jealous that you could go to hong kong. sounds cool. Also jealous that you saw those shirts. LOVE them. I have always heard about that but never knew for sure if it was an urban legend or the truth. I guess that's proof that it is really something that asian people do. I am sure that we probably do that with nonsense chinese all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome additions!! THanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great! That's neat that you had the chance to see that Chinese printing block. And that's way funny about the t-shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia, you definitely go above and beyond expectations, and have really helped me learn in this class. Thanks for being a great group member!

    ReplyDelete