Monday, October 31, 2011

Calligraphication

So as I posted earlier,  I tried my hand at calligraphy, but without training I did not do a very good job.  We decided as a group to go over to Alicia's house last Friday and she taught us all about inks, papers, nibs, scripts, and everything you could ever want to know about calligraphy.  It turns out she's quite the expert.  We documented the experience with photos so I could post it here.


Everyone can please add to this post or put their 2 cents about the experience in a comment.

4 comments:

  1. I don't see the pictures, did they work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pics are so cool!! They worked for me!!

    Even though this may look easy, it was NOT! But I loved learning how to do it. It really is an art, where you have to be as skilled with your tools as anyone else to create something beautiful. I was rather clumsy with my tools and medium (the ink), so my scripture turned out kind of clumsy. And I was so careful, it took FOREVER!! I was so slow, I can't imagine copying a whole book. It would drive me crazy.

    Finally, I thought it was interesting that we all chose to write a scripture as our "final" product. That we thought the word of God was really the most appropriate thing to be written with the fancy calligraphy, that it alone was good enough. Not as a conscious thought maybe, but definitely an underlying idea. Just cool!
    A great learning experience! Thanks Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so glad that you guys came. It was a lot of fun to talk and practice calligraphy. I really enjoyed seeing you try to write like monks or Victorian ladies to emulate the situation as well as the script. Great activity.
    Mike thanks for putting the pictures up!

    ReplyDelete