Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Questions, With No Real Answers

So what does it mean to "write it down"? To save a piece of information by putting it in a book, on a sticky note, or in a planner? To write/(take) notes instead of just listening? To send a handwritten letter or card, as opposed to a store-bought one, or even an email? How does the significance of writing versus memorization compare in our time? How would it have compared in the time periods we are discussing?

I really didn't do much research for this post, but I am enjoying the thought experiment.  "Critically" thinking about what we have learned about writing so far, and how it has changed our perspective on the world, and how it must have changed the ancients' perspectives.  So I am basically answering the previous questions with my personal, educated opinions, and I want this post to open the blog to yours too.



Grandma Thora , From Arthur!
As I have previously mentioned in a comment, my grandma has what she calls her "paper brain" or "paper memory".  If it is something important, she says "wait a second, and let me write this down".  Especially if it something she will have to know a couple of days later, instead of the same hour.  Maybe we can just blame this dependency on writing on her age, but really I think it is just a clearer example of what we all do, individually and as a society.  We have our individual "paper brains", our planners and our sticky notes, our syllabi ( ;-) ) and our notecards.  But we also have textbooks, and just literature in general.  We have newspapers and magazines, posters and memos that keep the memory of us as a people, and what we know.  There is obviously a significance in writing a piece of information down in order for it to be remembered (whether by yourself or your peers or the next generation).  Ultimately, we are saying that this information will be valuable for longer than the living memory can keep it, whether that is 10 seconds or for the lifetime of a person that carries the memory to their grave.

But in some situations, isn't memorization more valued or impressive than writing it down?  The first thing I think of is giving a speech, which is sort of obvious because it has its roots in oral tradition and memorization long before writing existed.  If you memorize a phone number, instead of just writing it down, it is assumed that that person is more important than others to you.  If you value the knowledge enough to want to be able to carry it with you, even when you aren't carrying anything, then it must be important.  But do we memorize anything as a society? Only the Pledge of Allegiance and maybe the Star-Spangled Banner because they are patriotic, national unifiers.   As college students we are expected to memorize information for examinations and the like, which is proved by being able to write about it.  So when does information have a higher value because you memorized it, or a higher value because you wrote it?

Isn't It Silly How Many Greeting Cards We Have To Have?
Finally, something I have thought about recently is the significance of handwriting a card, instead of buying a messaged card, or sending an email.  I don't know about you, but I love getting real snail mail.  It makes my day.  So what is so special about it?  I think it could be the time and effort spent on the physical act of writing.  We always say that it is "the thought that counts", but if that were true, it wouldn't matter what medium the message came in.  But it does, and it makes an impact on how much value I attribute to the message.  Using your own energy and creativity to write and think up the words demonstrates more love and consideration than just the message itself.  Just like how it makes me feel better when someone actually writes my event down than just saying they will come, a real written card is better.

These are just a few of my ideas on this more philosophical spin on writing, but I can't wait to read your answers to my first questions.  I love thought experiments that are written down.  ;-)

6 comments:

  1. wow this is interesting and something I have been thinking about for a long while now and have just started to solidify these thoughts from taking this class and especially with all the stuff we talk about in this unit.

    one i think our generation is especially dependent on our paper brains or better yet our eBrains. I personally live form my iPhone, I am constantly making reminders and calendar events. If I don't I forget. I recognize I am totally dependent on it for my organizational side of my life.

    two handwriting a letter, as I saw on my mission is by far more significant, I don't know why it is that way. Why is it more personal? Has it only been that way since the invention of the typewriter or the computer? The thought does count but as a son of an art director for advertising the delivery sometimes means EVERYTHING and sometimes is the only thing people see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I have never moved on to digital dayplanners yet. Still an old fashioned guy with my paper one I guess. Somehow I just feel like a digital planner won't help me remember very well, or maybe it's because I still haven't jumped on the bandwaggon and spent hundreds of dollars on a smart phone and data plan yet.

    I was also thinking about how maybe my complete and utter dependence on a planner to remember even the remotest thing is actually a downward spiral. Maybe my planner is simultaneously the CAUSE and FIX for my bad memory. (kind of like chapstick) If I knew I didn't have a planner maybe I would make the conscious and subconscious effort to remember stuff, but I have a planner so I don't and continue to be dependent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the grandma thora clip. thats all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am currently helping my grandma put together a biography about my great grandfather. As part of that we have compiled all the letters we could that he exchanged with his wife. Some of them are still old hand written ones that we scanned, some were the transcriptions provided by my grandmother. There does seem to be a difference between the two. My assessment is that you feel closer to the person in hand writing. There is a part of them there. A computer or type writer forms every letter identically in preset fonts. In hand writing there is variety and individuality that is not possible in print. It augments the author's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree about there being something different about actually writing something out, as opposed to typing it or saying it or something like that. Also, I'm with Mike - Google calendars, phone planner features, etc. just don't work for me. I need my physical planner, something that I actually write in and actually hold. It just works better for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Lauren and Mike. Writing is more meaningful and personable when someone hand writes a note or letter to you. I think I prefer writing things down on paper over writing things down on the computer, because it helps be to remember it better. I actually have to spell out what I need to do, rather than subconsciously type on a keyboard.

    ReplyDelete