Friday, September 9, 2011

Music Makes The World Go Round.

Everyone is affected by music on a daily basis. It penetrates you using the mediums of silence and sound. You hear it in elevators, in your car, in restaurants, and at the grocery store. It's everywhere and it's unavoidable. But where did it come from?

It is believed that music was expressed orally before the written language was even developed, but the earliest documentation of musical lyrics that is known dates back to 1400 BC and is inscribed in Sumerian cuneiform. The earliest prehistoric musical instruments are thought to be percussion instruments, such as drums, which provide rhythm. However, the oldest instrument discovered to date was found in a Slovenian cave and is a flute made out of bear bone. 
Slovenian flute

Although these artifacts were found in separate areas around the world, civilizations of the ancient world developed similar methods of expressing music and instruments by which to do so. Many civilizations passed down these traditions of expressing music through oral communication or by teaching others how to play instruments.

Aboriginal didgeridoo
For example, Aboriginal music, a form of prehistoric music, has been taught and transmitted vocally throughout Aboriginal culture and still exists today. It uses lyrics, wailing and hand-made instruments such as the didgeridoo (a relative of the flute) to express appreciation for nature and to tell cultural stories.

Which brings me to my next question, what is the purpose of music? (1) To tell stories, (2) for social enjoyment and (3) to provide therapy.

Songs that tell stories have purpose and provide insight on a national culture. These types of songs are traditionally considered folk music and are used in almost every culture. Folk songs are transmitted orally and usually commemorate historical or personal events. The lyrics are often meaningful and have been passed down through several generations.

When I was younger, my parents taught me three Korean folk songs that they learned on their missions. Although I personally may never have a need to use these songs, they give valuable insight on Korean culture and tell various stories of Korean natives. One of these songs is "Arirang":


The second purpose for music is for social enjoyment. Ancient Greece, for example, is famously known for using small orchestras and mixed gender chorus' to enhance theatrical experiences. The music often set the tone for the occasion. 

Greek instrumental lessons
Since that time, the Medieval era (500-1400 AD), the Renaissance era (1400-1600), the Baroque era (1600-1750), the Classical era (1750-1800), the Romantic era (1800-1890) and now modern music have all enhanced social occasions and (usually) provide pleasure to the listener. When music is involved and part of the atmosphere or setting, people tend to bond together.

Coldplay, a modern alternative rock band. I am enjoying listening to them right now.






The final reason music originated was for healing and therapy. Music possessing a sort of healing power which affects the physical, emotional, mental, social (mentioned above) and spiritual being of a human. Music improves learning, builds self-esteem and reduces stress. One example of music as therapy can be seen among the Ottoman Empire in the 1300s. Folk music was passed along through friends and family to help treat those who were mentally ill.

Another example of musical healing or therapy can be viewed in a spiritual aspect. Often times (especially among the LDS Church), religious hymns are sung before, during and after religious meetings or ceremonies. For many people who consider themselves Mantic thinkers (see Nibley article), learning is easier this way and it helps to improve their spiritual beings.

Latter-day Saint Hymn Book
So from what I've discovered, music really does make the world go round. More importantly, without transmission of folk knowledge and folk music, our world would be very different from what it is now. Without music, we would not have as much knowledge or understanding of ancient cultures. We would not have great social entertainment. And lastly, we would not be able to fully develop our emotional, mental and spiritual beings.

7 comments:

  1. Music is definitely has a therapy and enjoyment value for me. I learned the basics of music from my mother who taught me piano. This was a foundation for the love that i have for it now and for the further formal studying that i did.

    I think that there are many more purposes of music than three. Here's some spiritual food for thought. For me, listening to and creating music are two very different things. I think that one other purpose of music is to allow us to CREATE. In my opinion I think that as children of a Heavenly Father we have an emotional need to create things. This allows us to feel that we are doing something worthwhile and helps us become like him. Whether it is through music or woodwork or writing etc, it is all creation and is something that is very emotionally and spiritually satisfying. I love listening to Coldplay too, but playing one of their songs brings the enjoyment to a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You talked quite a bit about the idea that because we can express ourselves through music, we can develop more and differently than we would without it. I think that is an interesting idea. Essentially, what it boils down to, to me, is the idea that our ability to think and feel is limited or enhanced by the ways we know in which to express those thoughts and feelings. When I started learning Arabic, I found that when I was asked a question, my answers were very simplistic, and it wasn't that I was thinking these complex answers and just couldn't express myself. When I was thinking in Arabic, I was limited conceptually by my vocabulary. Now that I'm a lot better at speaking Arabic, I can think about more in Arabic. I think that music is another type of language that we learn--so is math, etc.--and this post made me wonder if there are things that I think and feel that I would not be able to think and feel if I hadn't played the violin for 18 years, or gone to all those piano lessons as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just some food for thought on this subject: when we are young are our thoughts/intelligence limited by our language (mostly verbal, but you could say other languages like math, art etc) abilities or are our language abilities limited by our intelligence capacity (or ability to think)? A study relating to this said apes achieved a level of communication through sign language equal to that of a three year old child. The apes could not pass the sign language level of a three year old. I would pose that our language and expression levels are limited by our intelligence and for the most part not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the points being made that we are able to think more complexly than we are capable of expressing. However I would like to add that learning a skill--language, dance, music, or whatever other mode of expression-- expands the way we think. I think a personal example illustrates this well. I have been training in martial arts for about 15 years. I still think of moves and sets far better than I can perform them, but I also see the world differently. I evaluate crowds looking for the most dangerous people, walk in the street rather than the sidewalk, pay attention when I can't see someone's hands. So Lauren I think you do experience things differently than you would if you had not studied violin or practiced piano. And I think ancient cultures were shaped by their music as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that our discussion of folk music has evolved into more a discussion of our languages. But pulling it back, sort of, I like your emphasis on the social power and unity of music. I was in an all state choir when I was in middle school, and it was amazing how, because we were singing and sharing music together, over one weekend we became fast and close friends from all over the state. Another social aspect of music for me was the bond between my mom and I because of her tutelage in voice and our family folk songs all my life. Music is one of the most beautiful languages I know, because of how it connects souls. Music paints the colors seen through the windows of heaven on our souls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great discussion!

    Misa - your post is good in that it looks at music historically and brings it into the current day. However, it is quite broad. Try to give more of a focus next time. For example, you might have traced just the history of musical lyrics, or customs for creating music.

    The group discussion pointed things toward issues of language and how form affects thought. Good job! Laura's point was very good: " our ability to think and feel is limited or enhanced by the ways we know in which to express those thoughts and feelings" which was illustrated by comments about Arabic, martial arts, and violin music.

    We like to think of languages as being additive, expanding our thinking. But languages of learning like to dominate, and we can't think simultaneously in every language we have. Then it becomes a question of which language to have sway at which point - a most difficult question.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah I though I think there is something ironic about trying to describe learning in one "language" like music or dance in another language like blogging media that doesn't have the "vocabulary" for it. We have differnet language systems because they each have an area that specifically address the best. Trying to describe one in terms of another reduces it and robs it of its power. It is like trying to address calculus or organic chemistry in the form of sculpture or musical composition; it can be interesting and enlightening but accomplishes a very different purpose.
    Moral of the story: I'm glad you put a movie in Misa.

    ReplyDelete