Wednesday, September 7, 2011

We're food folk.


(Sorry guys, this is a long post. I promise I’ll make my next few posts extra pithy to make up for it.)




I am immensely grateful for Julia Child. In case you don’t know or have somehow forgotten, she’s the really tall TV chef from the 1970s and 80s, and the author of several renowned cookbooks, like this one:
Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Julia Child
I’m grateful for Julia’s recipes, and her spunk and flair, and because she wore pearls in the kitchen. Mostly, though, I’m thankful for what she stands for—for the fact that my experiences of eating and cooking have not been limited to those produced solely by the passing down, from generation to generation, of food folk knowledge through my family.

But more on that later.

If I only knew how to cook using the folk knowledge of my ancestors, I would be eating a lot of boiled potatoes and barley bread. If my mother only knew how to cook the things my grandmother taught her, I would have grown up eating nothing but “salad” (code for lettuce with Thousand Island Dressing), “pizza” (code for cheddar cheese and hamburger baked on bread dough), and a dessert all of my grandmother’s descendants refer to fondly as “Shirley’s Famous Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake.”


When you go back far enough that all my family history is highly suspect, my ancestors were limited in their diet and methods of food preparation by financial means, local availability of food, and availability of knowledge.

A number of my progenitors would have been peasants in medieval England. (I know everyone likes to talk about the royalty they found on their pedigree chart, but let’s get real. Most of us came mostly from toothless swamp people who couldn’t read and never saw a crown in their lives.) They would have prepared nearly all of their own food and grown much of it themselves too. They would have eaten a lot of heavy, brown rye and barley bread—white bread was only for rich people—and pottage made of leeks, beans, and the like. Since the water in villages was often too dirty to drink, they would have had a lot of ale, and when they had meat, it probably would have been pork, mutton, or certain types of fish.

They might have looked like this. Probably not.
My peasant ancestors in medieval England would have been limited to the foods that they could afford (not things like trout or salmon or wheat flour for white bread) and to foods that were grown locally (nothing imported). They also would have been limited by the folk knowledge passed on to them by family or close friends. The women would be the primary chefs, and they would have learned to cook primarily from their mothers. Domestic knowledge had not entered the public sphere of shared intellectual knowledge.

Over time, the emergence of a middle class and a tremendous increase in continental and global trade would have allowed my ancestors to expand the types of foods they consumed. They would have bought more from more places and made unfamiliar foods familiar. They left England for South Africa in 1820 and found new foods there, combining what was locally available with new traditions and methods from the Afrikaans Voortrekkers and native tribes. They would have discovered and made familiar the foods that still taste like home to me, things like guavas for breakfast and rusks soaked in rooibos tea. 



For hundreds of years, cooking was a wide spectrum of folk knowledge, passed down in traditional folk ways—mother to daughter, together in the kitchen, here’s when the bread dough is just sticky enough and not too dry. The cookbook changed that.

Recipe books had been around, in some form, since about 1475, but standardized measurements and strictly quantified recipes had not. Fannie Famer’s The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book (published in 1896) took recipes that had called for things like “a piece of butter the size of an egg” or “a teacup full of milk” and rewrote them in terms of tablespoons and teaspoons, measured level and always the same. There’s something charming that’s lost in the departure from those ambiguous measurements, but there’s something gained too—you could learn to cook from a book. Remember Julia Child? This is where she comes in again. While living in France, she learned to cook with French master chefs, and she wrote a cookbook in which she painstakingly quantified and qualified their recipes. She brought French cooking into the homes of American housewives who had never seen the Eiffel Tower.

But take a look at where we are now—you can hardly look at a magazine rack or turn on a television without being bombarded by cooking shows or new recipes. Whenever I’m home, my fifteen-year-old brother and I watch Iron Chef: America. It’s how we bond on Sunday afternoons.  My mom, newly-married, taught herself to cook using The Lion House Cook Book. Now, she loves Ina Garten (the Food Network’s Barefoot Contessa) and Molly Wizenberg (the author of the food blog Orangette). We love to talk about Jeffrey, the Barefoot Contessa’s husband, because he kind of looks like a hobbit.

I have come to realize that my experience with food and with cooking is a combination of folk knowledge and book knowledge. I love South African curry on rice with coconut, carrots, and bananas on top. It is one of my family’s cultural meals, one that has been passed down through generations (though not via my culinarily inept grandmother). I love buttered radishes on baguettes with fleur de sel, thanks to Molly. I love baked eggs for dinner and apricot tarts when the apricots at home are ripe. 


These are my favorite banana pancakes:



I learned to make them from my mother. She learned to make them from the Barefoot Contessa.  

SOURCES
           Beck, Simone, Louisette Bertholle, and Julia Child. Mastering the Art of French Cooking,. New York: Knopf, 1961.
           Brears, Peter. Cooking and Dining in Medieval England. David Brown Book, 2008
           Farmer, Fannie Merritt. The Original Boston Cooking-School Cook Book, 1896. New York: H. L. Levin Associates; Distributed by Crown, 1973.
           Henisch, Bridget Ann. Fast and Feast: Food in Medieval Society. University Park: Pennsylvania State UP, 1976

4 comments:

  1. So i'm pretty angry because i accidentally just erased my post. I just love technology sometimes.

    Anyway, I was thinking of how the influence of just ONE person can impact the knowledge of many people to come. Knowledge is cumulative but that doesnt mean that one weak link can lose that knowledge again.

    I ALSO have a culinarily inept grandma, who in turn has 10 basically culinarily inept children. On my mom's side of the family though my great cook of a grandmother has 6 children who all know how to cook well. (To their credit though, my aunts and uncles on dad's side have gotten better over the years as my mom has helped them out.)

    This affected greatly the memories of my childhood. As i mentioned before i'm canadian by part of my mom, and american by part out of my dad. So every year we celebrate two thanksgivings. One in november (american) and one in october (canadian thanksgiving is on our columbus day). Well every year i dreaded american thanksgiving with the overcrowded house, the mystery food potluck dishes, and the veggie platter that my grandma must have prepared at least a day in advance judging by the dryness of the veggies. Canadian thanksgiving always meant luscious pies and mashed potatoes and desserts. Its an altogether much more pleasant experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food is such an important part of any culture! I think that it's awesome that almost every culture has developed a unique type of food and sense of taste.

    I've noticed that many recipes or cooking traditions have mainly been passed down through women, but I think men are starting to become more involved with cooking. For example, nowadays it's not just women on television promoting cooking. There are men like Gordon Ramsay and Buddy Valastro who have made it more socially acceptable for men to cook/bake. Does this factor add new insight and value to food preparation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, its actually kind of sad how the food tradition and the transfer of this specific folk knowledge has occurred in my family. My maternal grandmother is actually a pretty good cook, but my mom can't really cook well, and what she can she didn't really learn it from her mom (more of a book knowledge thing). Then, because cooking was still a woman's art, my father never learned to cook (unless you count Top Ramen on his mission). But what my paternal grandmother does know how to cook are some dishes we might think of as beneath us as middle-class Americans today, and that's because she had limited resources like your peasant progenitors. My grandma finished growing up and was a newly wed during the Great Depression and the aftermath and her family wasn't very affluent to start with. Anyway, I guess the point is that such limitations on folk knowledge and the possibility of family training in the kitchen still exist today. Whether it is not taking advantage of the opportunity to learn in a rich environment (like my mom) or being limited by your socio-economic status (like my grandma), cooking is becoming lost in my family as folk knowledge, and has to be regained through other mediums.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the connection between food and social aspects like what Andy talked about in class Wed. I too have learned to cook from my mother and other family members and tried new recipes from friends, but honestly what makes the meals wonderful is not the scrumptious food, but the people I share it with.
    Let's face it having your favorite birthday dinner alone in a different country just doesn't cut it the way eating it at home with your family and your mom's special sauce. And while I can make delicious meals myself, I choose to take chances in a college dinner group.
    Food is not just the knowledge passed between people and generations it is one of the important modes of gathering to transfer other knowledge. The Bible is replete with symbolism of breaking bread alluding to communion with the divine and accessing diving knowledge.

    ReplyDelete