Monday, October 10, 2011

Epic Performance


Imagine yourself high up in the mountains of present day Guatemala in a stone courtyard or plaza adorned with statues and figures carved from stone of fierce warriors, majestic kings and intelligent priests. The spoken words of a poet drift to your ears through the crisp air typical of the dry season. You listen attentively, relishing in the glorious detail of brave warriors and fierce battles. A part of you stirs in pride for your ancestors and rich cultural history. 


This scene paints a typical form of Mayan education and entertainment. Listeners gathered in a courtyard or plaza. They listened as the narrator spoke, not sang, clearly and distinctly, deliberately pausing every two or three lines.  With his words which were sometimes accompanied  by instrumental music, painted an epic. It is classified as an epic because they mostly spoke, not acted out the historical scenes.

These epics were deeply woven with the Mayan culture, legacy and history. This book comments on the historical accuracy of these epics. The book states that here are many historical documents that contain counterparts within these epic narrative traditions. The ruling noble class sponsored "public dramatic events that commemorated historical events." There is evidence of this kind of production is two seventh century inscriptions on a stone stairway in the Guatemalan site of Dos Pilas. In this way the narrator educated the Mayan people about historical feats of the mighty civilization's past. The common people attended these performances. The upper class, who also enjoyed a more formal and institutionalized form of education, also went to these performances. I touched upon this topic in an earlier post

An example of this kind of historical education is found in the epic called Rabinal Achi ("Rabinal Man") or Xajoj Nun ("Dance of the Trumpets"). This was mainly preformed in a town called Rabinal which is situated high in the mountains, north of present day Guatemala City. It was recited in K'Iche' Maya in the classic method described in the above paragraph. The epic depicts a warrior so fierce that his enemies described in this way:

                                       
This method of learning is quite interesting because it is also a from of entertainment. It is almost the ancient version of the History channel. It is interesting that they chose to speak their histories and tales rather than sing them like many other ancient cultures. The Mayans also chose to continue this form of education and entertainment despite having a very advanced written language. 





5 comments:

  1. It is interesting that they continued like that and didn't develop other things like theatre, but I also don't blame them for sticking with the oral story telling. I LOVE hearing a good story teller tell a good story. My grandma is one of the best story tellers alive I swear. She can make the most simple event seem like it is a great adventure.

    Favorite grandma quote - "Never sacrifice a good story for the truth." -- My Grandma

    I on the other hand can NOT tell a joke. It is definitely an art that you have to be born with or develop, just as acting or singing is an art too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this comparison of mediums, songs to oral speeches, is interesting, and realizing that for the subject of history the medium of speech is less common for ancient civilizations. I wonder if the ancients had it right all along. I mean, it is definitely easier to memorize important historical facts through song than speech (the 50 states song, anyone?), though with historical, epic stories, it may not matter as much. Then, in our modern society it would be weirder to have someone stand on a street corner and sing about George Washington than for them to lecture about him. The purposes and what is seen as acceptable in certain mediums has definitely changed and evolved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I would like to mention that there have been great orators in many societies. Take the example of Cicero recounting the deeds of Ceasar. Many Native American tribes are famous for their story telling. In Christian history the important stories were preserved in speech, especially sermons. I think most cultures have songs and stories and use them both as educational tools.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I agree with Morgan that song is more helpful with memorization, I think speech helps one to focus more on a personal level. Both forms of communication are used to get a point across and are valid ways of passing on knowledge. But I like the idea in the post about how they can be viewed as entertainment as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is interesting that there are certain bodies of work--like others have mentioned--that just aren't the same written as they are spoken. I mean, think of Jonathan Edwards' "In the Hands of an Angry God". I saw it the other day in a bookstore and it seemed odd to me that it was on a shelf, because it is such an oral medium (the medium of the angry Puritan sermon, I mean).

    I also really like the point Will made about this form of learning being entertainment as well. Kind of makes me think differently about the way I think of my schooling--what if I thought of it as entertainment too? Would I learn better if I could shift my attitude a little bit? I know there are times that I feel thoroughly entertained in my 400-level econ classes by the jokes that are only funny to a bunch of geeks in a 400-level econ class, but I don't usually think of classes the same way I think of other forms of entertainment.

    ReplyDelete