Saturday, October 8, 2011

Talking with the Past. My interview

For my interview I decided to carry on the theme I started in my first post on the Khmer, so I talked to a eastern studies Professor and to a survivor of the Khmer Rouge. For my brief summary of Cambodian History and the distinction between the Khmer and the Khmer Rouge click here.



   Once again, I was struck by the similarities of learning in the same geographic region, but separated by hundreds of years. I learned that the Hindu and Buddhist monks performed most of the prayers in Sanskrit1. The common people of the ancient empire and modern Cambodians could not understand what was being said. However, because there was a center far away where head monks and priests would go to be trained the oral tradition was insulated from political and cultural changes. Smara said that this was the reason that the Buddhist religion was not entirely lost during the reign of the Khmer Rouge. The perseverance of a well conserved Buddhist oral tradition through the many sovereignty changes can also be attributed to a learning center outside of the influence of those changes. I guess this is the equivalent of the digital age external hard drive where you can back up your files. If a virus gets in and corrupts the computer the backed up files are still secure. In our blog during our oral unit we have devoted a number of comments to the written history virtue of long term preservation. I submit that perhaps having parallel  oral cultures would accomplish the same kind of preservation.
     I also found it very interesting the different ways the same story was told. A good example of this is the sea of churning milk. See my previous post for an excerpt from and link to this story. Smara and her family knew the story but did not like it, so repeated very little of it. The professor gave a brief summary but mostly talked about the importance of the story. The poetic version I read and the two version I heard and the ones I have heard previously all differed. I felt that these differences represented the differing experiences and value paradigms of the individuals. Mike has a good post on this in a whole culture context. I submit this as another great value of an oral tradition. The essential story is preserved but the elements can shift to reflect the values of the teller. Smara and her family value their life and culture in America and were not as interested in an old story that had little connection to them. The professor valued the story's influence on a culture he loved to study. The scribe who copied down the story originally valued the story itself. These differing values are apparent in the way the story is retold.
     I found learning from someone who is personally experienced in the subject was far more engaging than reading books. I felt that I made different connections hearing rather than reading; and I have a greater urge to tell what I learned. It is like hearing a good joke or a great story, you want to tell it more than you want to write it.

7 comments:

  1. So a sad story about my interview with Smara. I recorded the whole thing so that I could later give to her family so they could have a copy. I also wanted to post and excerpt on the blog. Somehow as I was downloading the video it disappeared. I am still trying to restore it. So the pictures in my blog are symbolic. The Cambodian children are about the age of Smara's siblings when the Khmer Rouge came to power. The lower picture show the traditional farming method. When the Khmer Rouge came to power they emptied the cities and forced the people to work in farms in the country. Smara worked chopping wood for the railroad and in a "rice prison." This picture is meant to show that.
    My sincere apologies to Mike, who arranged the interview for me. I will do my best to get that video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Ya I was totally wondering about that Alicia. That´s cool though. Symbolic pictures. Nice.

    So I was thinking about how you kind of contrasted between the modern and ancient khmer and kind of thought that it was interesting how the khmer rouge (modern ones) were trying some sort of throw-back civilization. They wanted to have the same power that once worked out for them, but it just didnt work out. It was a total fiasco and a massacre replete with intelligent-people-cide. Rather horrific really. But i was thinking that other than the fact that they were a communist regime, you cant just life the glory days. Most people learn that after hugh school but maybe it applies to knowledge institutions. We can integrate oral knowledge nowadays into what we have but I dont think any movements to ditch technology and writing and print are going to catch on real fast. What we have now is a mix of all of them. I hope that made sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I thought it was a good thought. Sort of like why I put off getting a cell phone. Once you have it you can't go back. Life was fine without one; life was fine with just oral and folk knowledge; but once you get one, or a new medium of knowledge preservation and circulation catches on, you can't go back. You can integrate but not retrograde.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have throughly enjoyed contrasting written and oral history with their differing positives and negatives. I liked how you proposed that parallel oral histories could accomplish the same effect on lasting, preserved history. Is that in reference to your hard drive/computer analogy? Where if a "virus" or any outside cultural influence effected the culture it could always revert back to its original state...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was interesting how the milk churning story you learned about was told in so many different ways. I agree with your statement about how the story differs depending upon the individual's experiences. I think that is why in so many cultures, family stories are valued more than scientific proof or written works, because the meaning to the family is more significant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like both threads of comments, from Will and also between Mike and Alicia, but I want to mix them together. Having a parallel, isolated oral culture would be really cool, and seemed to work for the Cambodian people in preserving Buddhism, but can you imagine what people would say in our society today? (picture a suit) "Excuse me Ma'am, but your son has shown a propensity for oral learning. We are hoping that we can take him away to a private boarding school where he will learn all the oral knowledge about the philosophies of the 1880's. He will never see you again until he has become an expert in this oral knowledge, and even then he can only come back to teach it and to choose a successor in his field." Ummm.... What? Don't we have books for that?
    And we do, which is why we would think someone was crazy if they tried to implement a purely oral way of preserving our history and culture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Morgan that would be rather odd. I am very grateful that we have so many media that we can use to communicate. That way we can choose the one the best fits the current situation. I can skype my parents, write a letter to my sister, and act out my most recent date for my roommates. Having so many options allows us more freedom in knowledge transmission.

    ReplyDelete