Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Library Experiences!!

Since we are doing oral knowledge, I woud like to tell a story with my post, that has to do with the Phoenicians, education, and unfortunate events.

A couple of days ago, I did a little research on the subject librarians at the Harold B. Lee Library (I learned that they existed through my honors writing class last year).  I found one that dealt with ancient history and the middle east, a Mr. Ryan Combs, and I thought 'perfect'! Yesterday, I got up the courage to go ask for help on my research about the Phoenicians and I am so glad I went.  I had to nervously stand out side his office for a few minutes after I realized that he was actually in there, studying the books on a nearby shelf and telling myself that I was silly not to ask for help.  Finally, I went and stood in the doorway and knocked lightly on the metal door frame. He looked up, turned off whatever game he was watching, and invited me in.  I stepped into the room and explained who I was and what I was looking for, all in a crazy rush, hoping to convey in as few words as possible the topics and assignment that I was trying to learn about.  He immediately turned back to the computer and started typing,  then almost absent-mindedly invited me to sit down.  I got out a pen and a notecard, and we started our discussion on the library's resources on the Phoenicians.



He first led me to an online encyclopedia about the ancient world, and we discovered some articles on the civilization, but not much mention of oral traditions, or folk knowledge, or myths even, confirming my belief in a society that wasn't so focused on the religious.  Then we used the library's catalog to uncover where most of the books on the Phoenicians were hiding: DS 81, in the history stacks.  Go figure.  But we used a different search engine, the books and more tab, which made it so much easier to wade through the results.  Finally, he showed me some encyclopedia entries from a huge biblical work, that related what we knew about the Phoenicians through the Jews.  Throughout all this research finding, we discussed the difficulty of finding exactly what I was looking for: knowledge on the oral culture of the Phoenicians.  He made some interesting points that I would like to repeat to stimulate our discussion. 

We talked about the fact that much of what we know about the Phoenicians is based off the writings of other civilizations, such as the Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, and Persians.  It is difficult to synthesis a oral tradition of a nation from what other nations wrote about it.  Back then they weren't really concerned with understanding, learning and recording someone else's beliefs or knowledge.  They were struggling just to write their own. Then, we recognized that another stumbling block is that the oral tradition, and even the cohesiveness of the people, does not exist today.  No one in the Middle East still calls themselves Phoenicians, even though they might be descendants of the inhabitants of those ancient city-states.  The individuality of the city-states in ancient times might have added to the disunity, and they weren't even collectively called a people except by the Greeks and other nations.  Among themselves, they answered to the King of their own city, and only respected others so they could trade with them.  During all the conquests of this region, the name and oral history of the Phoenicians was lost, and not saved or rescued by natives, like the Mayans have done for so many years.  Parts of their culture were salvaged by other nations (such as the Greek myth of Adonis and Aphrodite, which first came from Lebanon), but others were demonized and forcefully forgotten (Jews destroying the worship of Baal).  They truly are an ancient civilization, that does not have a living connection to the past.

After all this stimulating discussion, I went to the stacks on the first floor and explored DS 81.  There were several books that I found that I thought would be very helpful and explained more about the little we know about their myths and religion and oral traditions.  But while I was exploring these books, I lost track of time in that underground world of knowledge, and when I finally checked my watch, I realized i was goiing to be late for my next class if I didn't leave RIGHT NOW.  I returned the books to the shelf quickly, because I didn't have even enough time to check them out and almost ran to my next class.

Here is where the unfortunate events comes in:  after scarcely two hours, I returned to the library and the DS 81 section.  All of the books that I had been looking at previously... were gone.  I searched for them, on the return book shelves, on the sorting shelves, at the circulation desk.  No where.  Someone had come inand checked out or moved to a hidden place, all the exact books that I had wanted and were researching out of.  It was terrible.   I will have to go back and look another time for them, but that is the sad ending to my story now. 

6 comments:

  1. I have had the exact same thing happen to me in the library! I have no idea what their reshelving system is, but it definitely involves some secret location where the books disappear to before eventually returning to the shelves days later.

    You mentioned that the Phoenicians are a truly ancient civilization that does not have a living connection to the past. I know what you meant by that statement, but I wonder if there is more of a connection than would first appear. I mean, I have no idea, but I'd be interested in whether or not the people living in the area today, or the groups that may include descendants of Phoenicians--I wonder if the Phoenicians are actually a part of any of those cultures, even in small ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Lauren, there must be SOME sort of influence in modern day people of that area.

    I wonder of the fact that this culture didn't have much of an oral tradition that was passed on had to do with the Power of the country. A powerful country might have a more lasting influence on the future. Would more of an education system add to the power of the country? Today education has to do with power but maybe before it had more to do with gold and horses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would refer all of you to Brandan Sandersans work Alcatraz Smedry and the Evil Librarians and the sequel Alcatraz Smedry and the Scriveners Bones. Both contain an extended explanation of the evil librarians and their reshelving habits. And surprisingly profound summaries of the major points of ancient Greek philosophers, which I feel relates because we discussed the Greek philosophers in class today. Here follows a qoute: "Plato who said that somewhere in the universe there is a perfect milkshake.""Socrates who is famous for being a horrible note taker and yelling 'I am a philosopher' in a no philosophy zone." I hope you all feel enlightened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I a more on topic comment, I agree with Lauren. It is likely that the Phoenicians had an impact on modern cultures. However, we really cannot find out what that was because we don't really know what their everyday culture was like. But something interesting is that there is a rock in New Mexico, about an hour from my house, with writing on it that people claim is Phoenician. Maybe we need to expand our range of where they impacted to cover more of the globe.
    http://www.avakesh.com/2007/12/ten-commandment.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of this talk makes me wonder how America will be viewed in the future...Seriously, talking about what Mike said, how is a nation's history influenced by oral history? I think it is very interesting that we rely on other nations written history to learn about their oral history. We have talked a lot about the roles of each in earlier blog so I won't comment on it here.... It is interesting that we don't know the extent to the Phoenicians influence on our modern society.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Lauren's point, I think the Phoenicians must have influenced some of the modern cultures because they at least have something written about the Phoenicians in their historical records. Maybe the discrepancy is that the Phonecians just did not teach a written language as well as they did an oral language in their educational system, which is why we do not know exactly all of their history.

    ReplyDelete