Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Marginalia: Facinating or Defacing?

Marginalia: marginal notes or embellishments (as in a book).  Latin.            
Love,
Webster

Marginalia of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe


I was meandering through Barnes and Noble one day when I passed a book titled Marginalia: Readers writing in Books.  I was intrigued by this new idea of actually having a conversation with the text by writing in the margins, because of my strict library upbringing, and the fact that I never had enough money to buy all the books I wanted to read (like not being able to purchase this book either).  After I walked out that day, I kind of forgot about the trend, until I started buying used books off of my college reading lists.  I wondered about the people that had owned my books before, and why they wrote in them, whether it was part of the class, or they just loved what they were learning so much they wanted to engage in the dialogue. 

I found the book, Marginalia in our library in preparation for this post, and I have loved reading it.  It has been so interesting to follow this author's definition and descriptions of what she calls "real" marginalia and giving a brief history of it, and how the trends have stayed similar through the ages.  She defines marginalia more narrowly as actual words (not just underlines or asterisks) written in a book (not specifically in margins but any blank space) by a pure reader (someone not involved in publishing, not the author or an editor/publisher).  It is about the process of sharing the thoughts of the reader by writing on the book itself, so that where ever that book goes after that it will have those annotations.  She threw out certain markings because they were more ambiguous and emotive than a reasoned argument or agreement.  And the author is really just adding to his own ideas, so it isn't really the thrill of having a dialogue because they are talking ot themselves (unless they have split personalities, and that's a whole different issue).  Sometimes it isn't even a dialogue with the text though.  Instead it could be completely unrelated writings, a diary for instance, written in the blank spaces of the book, or notes for a friend or a later reader. 

The history of marginalia dates back to the first books, especially in the Middle Ages like we have discussed in class.  In those first manuscript books, corrections were made in the margins, something that the copyist or monk had mis-transferred.  Also, the opinions of great scholars were written in the margins, both of the Bible and other ancient works, and they might have eventually made it into the original work, converted from marginalia to doctrine.  The practice of marginalia continued, and seemed to hit its peak in the late 1700's and early 1800's.  Even today with digital media, there are programs that accompany eBooks so that you can "write" on the page, or highlight it or what not. 

While contemplating employing this practice in my own life and reading habits, I had a small epiphany that I already do this in the largest book I own: my LDS scriptures, containing The Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants and The Pearl of Great Price all in one book.  In fact, as Latter-day Saints we are encouraged to mark and write in our scriptures spiritual insights and experiences to assist in our study.  As I then thought about applying this to the larger context of my personal bookshelf (it's not large enough to call it a library), I realized that I am more inclined to write in books that make me think and want me to argue with them.  That doesn't apply to most of my favorite fantasy novels, but I have other works that I could study more in depth by writing directly on the page, claiming the book and recording my passage through it.  There was another cool idea that I might employ with my family at Christmas: the prisoners at Robben Island with Nelson Mandela signed there names next to their favorite parts of Shakespeare's Julius Ceasar.  We frequently pass around a good book at my house, taking turns reading it, usually starting with the fastest reader and so on, until we have all had the same and yet completely different experiences with the text.  It would be interesting to compare where we signed our names, and how, and with what pen, and see us as a family claim the text as one we love.


I love libraries and bookstores equally.  I am addicted to the written (or should I say printed) word in whatever form I can get it.  My personal opinions and preferences of writing in the margins would probably be different if I didn't grow up lower middle class, where I couldn't buy every book I wanted to read.  I was trained up on the restrictions on library books, which has increased my hesitancy for writing in margins because they were the majority of what I read.  Despite these ingrained rules, I think I just might start marking up the books I own as I read them (or reread them). 


What are your opinions about writing in books? Do you like it? Does it help you connect to the story, or to what you are learning? Do you have a system?  Would you just rather write your thoughts in a separate journal, or on loose paper? Mostly I am asking about regular, mass printed books, but comments on textbooks work too. 

My main source for this discussion is Marginalia: Readers Writing In Books  by H. J. Jackson. 
Yale University Press, New Haven, 2001.   Available at HBL Library (after I return it :-)

8 comments:

  1. What do I think about writing in books? I think that it is a good practice unless the book is specifically designated as sacred (e.g. the Quran) Even if I don't actually review my annotations just the act of writing helps me remember things and connect with ideas or tough concepts. That being said my system, or whether or not I even write annotations at all totally depends on the boo. My annotations for the scriptures is more organized and systematic compared to a novel for ENglish class where I am mostly just writing my thoughts and feelings as I read it. I also never ever annotate when I read for pleasure because I feel like in that setting it is distracting. Another point I would like to bring up is that I am trying all of my books out in the eBook format on my computer and iPhone. I am currently reading my scriptures on my phone and while the annotations sync with my LDS.org account which is nice I just don't know how I feel about it yet. Like Dr. Burton said in class, the ebook format is trying to copy the old format just like the Gutenberg bible did. For now at least I love technology but I wish there was away to keep the rich aesthetic or just that familiar feel of say the scriptures... I just wish I could have both worlds- small file, search ability, font adjustment etc of the ebook format with the aesthetic value of the pdf format... I know that to my grandkids (and maybe even my kids) it won't matter that its just an ebook format because they won't know the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time believing that I will ever get over printed books. I also like to search scriptures online because it's easy to find things or count the number of times a phrase is used, ect. But i seriously think there is nothing like a new printed book from the store, the act of separating the pages to break in the spine so leaves wont fall out etc. It is almost like a ritual to me. I am like you morgan - raised on books. I LOVE them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess this love gives me the same sort of hesitation about writing in my books. I used to think the kids that wrote in text books were such dorks in middle school (where they were only checked out). It was defacing property. In college it is different because we own our books but there is still a hesitation for me (actually I rarely write in my books - I'm just not in the habit). I have realized though that I LOVE to read books that my mom has written in. I just finish "The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis and I think my dad actually had written in some notes and underlined and I found it all fascinating. Maybe i'll pick up the habit too. For the benefit of future generations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had a hard time learning how to write in books. Like Mike (and everyone else) in public school the only writing in books was destructive and often obscene. In college, I was able to barrow some books from friends and teachers and suddenly what was written in the margin became more interesting than the actual text. My favorite book was one by Brecht. There were notations by four people in the margins (used books are great). What I liked about this was that not only were they conversing with the text, they also started conversing with eachother, adding thoughts, refuting ideas. Now I write in my books too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always find it interesting to read what others add in the margins of books. I haven't gotten comfortable with writing in books myself though. I usually just add a sticky note to the book so that I can remove or change my thoughts without actually adding to the book. After hearing everyone's comments though, maybe I should write in the actual book to add insight to those who read the book after me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Confession: Sometimes I write in library books. One of these days, they're going to find out it's me and take away my library card.

    But seriously. I'm in favor of writing in books, I suppose, because I do it from time to time, but I'm opposed to writing in books just for the sake of doing so. I underline things or write in my books when it seems completely natural to do so, when I just can't stop myself and before I even know what is happening, I look down, and there's a Hemingway quote in the margin of Voltaire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hemingway in Voltaire is the kind of great thing I'm talking about; it adds dimension to the ideas and expounds the discussion. Making connections between different subjects and delving deeper into texts helps us understand them better. If some connections are already there we get to build on those rather than try to reinvent them

    ReplyDelete
  8. Something else I thought of while reading your comments: what if the original annotator was just annoying? They highlighted everything or made irrelevant comments? Then I don't think I would delight in used books so much. It has to be an intelligent or at least someone trying to be intelligent for me to respect their comments. And what about different types of books? I think I would get angry if someone wrote in the margins of Dr. Seuss. And Will, aren't your scriptures sacred too, yet you still write in them? Just a thought. Thanks everyone for commenting!

    ReplyDelete