Monday, December 12, 2011

Wrap It Up, or Maybe Just Leave it Open- Ended?


According to Webster, the first known usage of "wrap up" to refer to summarizing or completing something was in 1568.  But I couldn't find much more why about that phrase became synonymous to finishing and summarizing something.  I know why with a film reel, but that early....  Just thought I would end on a self-directed-learning note.  :-)  

I am going to organize my notes based on the unit, a paragraph for each one.  And Alicia and Mike, I love your posts.  If you don't mind I would love to use them tomorrow in addition to my own reflections.  

See my other post for credit of this amazing picture - Eva Timothy

Unit One: Folk Knowledge
      This was the first unit we did and it was definitely an experiment.  I had no idea what this class was going to be like, and I was pleasantly surprised.  I have really come to love the blogging forum and the opportunity to learn in unique ways in this class.  But of course, my posts in the beginning exposed my inexperience with the medium, though I feel like I have the hang of it now, after 4 months, and how to make great posts (though not everyone is).  I felt like the subject of folk knowledge was serendipitous-ly first because of the simplicity of studying it as we adjusted to the different environment of the class.  That was nice.  For my own posts, I was able to draw on recent experiences in my own life and other classes to find subjects to research about folk knowledge.  Then, with the Learning/Teaching activity, I got the opportunity to learn about something that I had always wanted to experience, at least once: fencing (I got my fighting fix in with self-defense this semester though).  I noticed in a lot of my fellow classmates' posts that the first unit was really a place where we could talk about ourselves and our life experiences and what we have learned from them.  From Rock-climbing and cooking to make-up and ballet (don't assign gender roles to these subjects... you may be surprised), we had varied life experiences and got to know one another through our posts.  We found quickly that our schedules didn't really match up in anything but this course, which made meeting to do things difficult, but we managed.  Finally, we participated in our first group-professor interview, and I felt like we had really gelled as a group that had learned from each other and could continue to do so.  
      I can't seem to remember if the awesome bread presentation was from this unit, because it doesn't seem that long ago, but it makes most sense for it to be here.  Just a comment for the whole class, I loved the guest speakers and lecturers (not that our professors weren't great), because it really expanded our classroom into the outer world of knowledge.  Just like I came to realize a good blog post combines a lot of "mediums" or pieces (links, labels, pictures, video, text, good research, and a better audience) a good class combines knowledge and experiences from a wide range of places.  Maybe that is what I will write my formal blog post about tomorrow....

Unit Two: Oral Knowledge
      I really love my Judaism class, so their history shows up again at the beginning of this unit for me.  Then, we had more directed learning with the civilizations and topics of oral learning assigned to us.  I felt like in our continuum of professor-control and self-directed learning, this was a bit on the extreme controlled side (for this class), where with folk knowledge I almost wanted and needed more direction to get used to the medium and class style.  Phoenicia was an interesting civilization and i did my best to research it, but it wasn't my favorite.  I didn't really connect with it, like some of my group members did with their civilizations.  Mike did a great job with the Hopi because of his sister's connection and a genuine interest in something she knew.  Alicia is just a fan of Asia, and she did an amazing job bringing in the personal aspect to her study of the Cambodian Khmer civilization.   Will really loved the Mayans from missionary service and later because of their aesthetic appeal.  I thought we got into more meaningful "discussions" and commenting this second unit because we knew what we were doing and felt more comfortable in our blogging skin and group.  This unit we had the opportunity to make a video group discussion of the unit, and that was another first for me: making an academic video.  We had also never had a chance to meet outside of class as a group, so it was different to talk about face to face the things that we had only discussed through the blog before.  
      At the end of this unit there was the post on self-directed learning, and I really appreciated that sharing of views and educational philosophies.  I was raised in a non-traditional school, so I have a passion for teaching a little differently, and I loved talking about the college educational system in a response to this post.  This kind of overlapped with the beginning of the writing unit too, with its two sister posts.  
      King Benjamin's speech was awesome!! That's all I have to say about that.  

Unit Three: Written Knowledge
       I feel like I did (and was able to by the constraints of the class) more self-directed learning in this unit, and I appreciated.  I also researched a bit more about things I was interested that related to things we had discussed in class (children's stories and professor interviews).  There was more information on the history and knowledge institutions of a place starting with and after the invention of a writing system, so that was nice too, since I had the same civilization as well (though their writing was more interesting, being instrumental in the beginnings of the western alphabet).  I really liked seeing how our personalities came out in our blog posts, as I got to know everyone in my group, I didn't even have to look who posted what to tell who it was.  Artistic works from Will (facsimiles) and Eastern influence from Alicia, then a mesh of stuff from Mike, Misa and me.  
        My favorite parts of this unit were the "collaborative learning" activities and projects.  As a group, we got together at Alicia's apartment to learn about Calligraphy (because she is an expert) on a Saturday and it was great to do something hands-on.  I also liked our Rosetta Stone project, despite the impossibility of working with ancient Akkadian in a cuneiform script.  For me, it was more about the process and discovering different resources and basically my own ignorance than about actual translation and getting it done perfectly.  

Unit Four: Print Knowledge
       I really liked this unit.  Mostly because I am obsessed with books as it is (one of those people that will never own an eBook tablet thingy), and I loved my self-directed learning.  I guess I just love learning too, but that's another discussion.  I liked the field trip assignment, because it is in accordance with my belief that learning should extend beyond the classroom.  Even the bibliography assignment was cool, even though it was just dabbling in some rather dull literature (that turned out to be not too awful).  Mostly from the bibliography assignment I learned about a way to research and find what I want in a different way, with a more obscure topic, and I liked seeing the other weird titles that my group members found in their bibliographies.  Again, I knew who wrote what very easily.  And besides my own learning, I loved most that Alicia commented on every post, even when no one else did, and probably no one commented on hers.  She is awesome like that.  I didn't really like the collaborative learning on the final paper, and that whole assignment was a bit of a surprise and not as well organized as the last unit, or even the beginning of the unit, which was not fun because the end, the finals are the most stressful part of the year.  And I took some liberties with the assignment, following my self-directed learning on a subject that started within the guidelines, but finished somewhere entirely different.  A good unit to finish on in my opinion.  

Thanks for a great class, where I have learned so many things I couldn't list them all if I wanted to.  And I think I will talk about one more big idea, one thing I have learned more than anything else... but I will save that for one last post....  :-)    

(I can't go through and link all the posts that are mentioned in this blog.  Sorry, but you will just have to look for them yourself, on this blog and its parent, Reinventing Knowledge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment