Thursday, December 8, 2011

Retrospective on Spelling Paper

Having completed my final paper on spelling, I wanted to reflect a bit on my experience writing and polishing it.


The most impressive thing to me was how useful the feedback on my paper was. I got some limited feedback through the blog, but the most useful advice I got was in face to face conversations. Talking to the members of my group, my roommates, and my siblings helped me to recognize flaws in my logic and possible alternative explanations. Talking about my ideas with people was much more useful than having them read my essay and independently make comments.
Also interesting to me was how difficult it was to get and give useful feed back on blogs. For me reading other people's essays on blogs, it was much harder to stay focused on the essay and to find my thoughts to share on how to improve it than if it were printed out so I could just write on it. I found my eyes just glazing over. I feel like other people may have had similar experiences based on the feedback I got.
Aside from media differences, I really enjoyed learning about spelling. It is odd. Spelling has been my enemy for my whole life, but finding out how it came about and how we got these crazy rules. Somehow it gave me the feeling of conquering my profound dislike of orthology.

No comments:

Post a Comment